James A. Blanchette
James’s practice focuses on strategic development of patent portfolios, all phases of patent prosecution, patent infringement and validity analysis, post-grant review, re-examination and other third-party proceedings, domain name disputes, trademark registration, and general client counseling in intellectual property matters. James has particular experience assisting start-ups and early-stage companies facing diverse intellectual property issues.
James assists clients in a wide variety of technology areas, including computer software and hardware, mobile devices, audio/video devices, CAD systems, network protocols, location-based services, medical devices, clean technologies, and mechanical and electrical technologies.
- James has been recognized as a Rising Star in 2012, 2013 and 2014 by Thomson Reuters’s Super Lawyers® lawyer rating publications.
- James has prosecuted hundreds of patents for a leading networking equipment provider, developing a significant percentage of this Fortune 500 company’s worldwide patent portfolio.
- James has also developed the patent portfolio of a leading engineering software provider, securing key patents in competitive technical areas.
- He has further developed the patent portfolio of an emerging mobile application company, securing patents that were cited in the media as a key consideration in the company’s eventually 9-figure acquisition.
- James has served as an expert mentor to startups participating in the Cleantech Open startup accelerator, and as a guest expert at local innovation and entrepreneurship forums.